It is imperative to understand that with all the different refrigerators out there in the market; it just makes a choice a lot tougher. That being said, we have properly curated this buying guide, offering you the right assistance you need. Look for all the following aspects while purchasing any refrigerator.
Types Of Refrigerators
You would find six types of refrigerators in the market—single door, double door, triple door, French door, side by side, and mini-fridge.
- Single Door Refrigerator: Single Door Refrigerators are commonly used in Indian households. Their capacity ranges from 100 to 200 liters, making it ideal for small families. It uses direct defrost technology, so you need to manually defrost the interiors of the refrigerators. Single door refrigerators don’t consume much power. You would get them at an affordable price.
- Double Door Refrigerators: The capacity of these refrigerators are more than the single door refrigerators, making them ideal for medium and large sized families. They consume more power as they feature a frost free defrosting technology. Double Door Refrigerators are certified by BEE. So, you can easily check the rating of a particular product. Double door refrigerators come in two varieties: top-mounted and bottom-mounted refrigerators.
- Top Mounted: The freezer of these refrigerators are top-mounted. These are the most commonly designed refrigerators you would find in the current market. They are easy to use and maintain.
- Bottom Mounted: This type of refrigerator isn’t much liked by the people because the freezer is mounted on the bottom. So, it’s not convenient at all. You have to get down to get the necessary food items from the freezer.
- Triple Door Refrigerator: As the name suggests, triple door refrigerators have three doors. The first one is the freezer compartment, the second one is the cooling section, and the last one is the vegetable crisper. Triple door refrigerators are suitable for large families.
- French Door: These refrigerators have two doors, and the freezer is mounted at the bottom. You won’t run out of space as their capacity is higher. These refrigerators are known for their elegant and sleek design.
- Side By Side Refrigerators: Side by side refrigerators are ideal for high-end kitchens. Their capacity falls under 500 to 700 liters. This refrigerator is divided into two parts: one is the freezer compartment, and the other half is the food storage compartment. You can keep the food items accordingly; that way, you won’t have to open the fridge frequently. The food items would be within easy reach. The price range of side by side refrigerators falls under 65 thousand to 2 lakhs.
- Mini Fridge: If you already have a fridge at home, then you can go for a mini-fridge. You can keep drinks and snacks. A mini-fridge can be used at the office, hotels, cars, and home.
There are two types of defrosting technology you would find in the refrigerator. One is a direct defrosting system, and another is a frost-free defrosting system.
- Direct Defrosting System: Direct defrosting system is found in single door refrigerators. You need to manually defrost the refrigerator.
- Frost Free Defrosting System: You don’t need to manually defrost the refrigerator. It would automatically defrost the refrigerator. A frost-free defrosting system is seen in double door refrigerators.
The refrigerators are certified by BEE as per their energy consumption. It is obvious that a high rated refrigerator would be expensive, but it would reduce your electricity bill. A five star rated refrigerator is better than a four-star rated refrigerator. It would be costlier, but in the long run, five stars rated refrigerator would be a better choice. Don’t go for products that have less than a two-star energy rating.
The noise from the fridge is annoying. It is advisable not to buy refrigerators that exceed 50 dB. The ideal noise should be around 30 to 50 dB. Check the product description before purchasing the product.
Last but not least, this is another factor to consider. Stainless steel refrigerators are common amongst the customers. They might be expensive but would last for a longer period of time. So, if you are looking for a refrigerator that is going to last for a longer duration of time, make sure to pay close attention to the build quality.
Frequently Asked Questions
1) Single Door Refrigerators or Double Door Refrigerators: Which is better?
If you have a small family or live alone, then a single door refrigerator would be suitable for you. It is not that which refrigerator is better, but you should buy refrigerators as per your requirement. The only problem with the single door refrigerator is that you have to manually defrost the refrigerator as it uses direct defrost technology. On the other hand, single door refrigerators have a capacity of fewer than 500 liters, which makes them suitable for medium-sized families. As it uses frost-free defrosting technology, it would automatically defrost the refrigerator.
2) What are the best brands for double door refrigerators in India?
The market is flooded with brands. But what makes a brand reliable? It’s not only about the quality, but it’s their service as well. So, if you look for products keeping these two things in mind, then we would advise you to go for brands like Haier, Samsung, LG, Whirpool, Godrej. Their products are dependable and durable. But, at the end it all comes down to the quality of the product, and how it is going to perform over the long run.
3) What are the latest refrigerators technologies in India?
- Seasonal Mode: With this mode, you can turn off the freezer compartment without affecting the performance of the refrigerator.
- Home Alone Mode: This mode is the energy-saving mode. You can put all the food items in the topmost compartment and shut down the refrigerator. The top compartment acts as a mini-fridge.
- Extra Fridge Mode: With this mode, you can convert the freezer compartment into a fridge. If you want more storage space, then you can opt for this feature.
- Fastest Ice Making Capacity: If you urgently need ice, then you don’t have to wait for hours. Nowadays, high-end refrigerators feature a one-hour ice making technology.
- Works On Solar Energy: You would see that high-end refrigerators work on solar energy. So, if you’re looking for eco-friendly appliances, then these refrigerators are perfect for your home.
4) How to improve the efficiency of the refrigerator?
- Don’t expose the refrigerator to direct sunlight. Avoid keeping the oven, dishwasher near the refrigerator.
- Clean the refrigerator twice a month.
- Avoid opening the fridge. You can use indoor water. Opening the fridge frequently can affect the functionality of the refrigerator.
- Keep at least a one-inch gap between food items so that there is proper air circulation inside the refrigerator.
- Avoid keeping hot vessels in the refrigerator. Firstly, let it cool down. Keeping hot vessels inside the refrigerator can make the compressor work overtime.
- If you have a refrigerator with a direct defrosting system, then defrost the interiors on time.
The article contains all the relevant information related to refrigerators. Furthermore, the buying guide and frequently asked questions section is there, which would help you to make a smart decision. We hope this article was helpful.
Further including, all the products mentioned within the article are some of the best, this market has to offer. So, make your purchase likewise so that you can find the best deal for yourself.