This would be my second post about Chingri malaikari | Prawn in coconut milk. In the first post about Chingri malaikari | Prawn in coconut milk, I added coconut in the beginning of the process. But in this recipe I have added coconut later after adding prawns. Hence coconut is not sauted as in the previous post. Though one can cook malaikari in both the ways, yet there’s for sure a variation in taste.
To get more fish/prawn related recipes, please click here.
To follow us on facebook, please click here.
To follow us on twitter, please click here.
To check the Home page, click here
In malaikari, coconut milk is added. But there’s no harm in adding the fibrous part as well. As much as to reduce the waste, I never miss to add the coconut water as well. Coconut water being slightly on the sweeter side, I can give extra sugar addition a miss in the recipe. Also while choosing coconut, I prefer the tender ones for this recipe. The coconut paste obtained thus can be fine as a result!
Time required to cook Chingri malaikari | Prawn in coconut milk: 30 minutes
Serves 3 people
Ingredients required for Chingri malaikari | Prawn in coconut milk:
- Prawns or Chingri – 12 – 13 medium ones, de-veined with the outer shell removed
- 3/4 th cup grated coconut
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- A paste of 1 onion, 6 cloves of garlic, 1/2 inch ginger, 4 -5 green chillies
- 1 cinnamon stick, 2 green cardamoms, 4 – 5 cloves
- Mustard oil
Chingri malaikari | Prawn in coconut milk recipe:
- Marinate Prawns with salt and turmeric powder for at least 10 minutes
- Add a little water to the scrapped grated coconut and make a fine paste
- Heat oil in a pan. Light fry the Prawns till golden and keep aside
- In the same oil, add the whole spices like cardamom, cinnamon and cloves
- As aroma is released, add the onion ginger garlic chilli paste and cook till oil separates out
- Add fried Prawns and stir
- Add coconut water or simply water and bring it to a boil
- Add coconut paste and simmer till the Prawns are cooked and the gravy consistency is as desired
Chingri malaikari | Prawn in coconut milk is ready to serve with a plate of plain hot rice.