Ceiling fans are a great appliance to create a relaxed and comfortable indoor environment. They help you survive soul-melting summers with ease and make sure that you are having a great time every day. So if you have invested in a ceiling and want to install it yourself, then this article will be of great help.
Here we have given a complete step-by-step fan installation, which will help you install your ceiling fan without any issues. Now before jumping into the guide, let’s talk about some factors that you should consider before installation.
Facets to consider before installation
- The height of the room plays a vital role in a continuous and sufficient supply of air. The fan must be installed 8-9 feet above the ground level to ensure the breeze’s smooth flow.
- The fan must be placed at least 8 inches under the ceiling and at least 18 inches apart from the roof’s sidewalls.
- You should keep the fan’s diameter in the range of 36 to 44 inches for a small room of approximately 225 sq. feet. And for larger rooms, the ideal diameter of the fan is 52 inches.
- When buying a fan, you must consider the aesthetics and budget. Go for the one that suits the interior of the room as well as your expenses.
Steps to execute while installing a ceiling fan
There is no stated format to follow while installing a ceiling fan, although some steps can be beneficial to execute the entire process more efficiently. Also, the fan can be mounted on the already set light fixture, as long as it withstands the weight of the fan and the electric supply is circulated evenly.
- The first step you should is to switch off the electric supply until you are done with the entire installation work.
- Connect the ceiling fan and mounting bracket with the help of wire points
- Assemble the fan’s main body to complete the entire structure of the fan.
- Now mount the ceiling fan’s body with the mounting bracket and attach it to the ceiling wall.
- Once you have completed the mounting process, start attaching its wings. The wings must be attached after attaching the fan’s structure to the wall because it becomes difficult to mount the fan on the ceiling with its wings attached to it.
- Make sure all the blades of the fan are directed in the same direction. Each blade has two approaches and the change in any one of them will restrict the flow of air and ruin your entire efforts.
- The next task is to attach the wires. Connect the white neutral wire of the fan with the neutral wire of the electric supply. Connect the green ground wire of the electric supply to the green wire in the ceiling fan. Lastly, connect the black wire of the ceiling fan’s motor to the black wire at the ceiling. Be extremely careful while doing this and ensure that the electric supply is cut off; otherwise, it could result in a severe shock.
- Leave some space in the test wire and rip off the remaining with a wire cutter. To connect the wires, cut out the rubber part of both the cables that are to be joined and twist the exposed regions together. After this, cover this section up with a wire nut to ensure full safety.
- Now cover the motor wire and secure the motor with screws.
- Once this is done, fix the fan blades onto the fan with the help of the screws that come with the packaging. There are a minimum of three screws for each blade to make sure the blades stay attached for a longer time.
- If you are mounting the fan on an already installed electric connection, make sure that the connections are working. Also, check whether the voltage supply of the electric connection matches up with the voltage required for the ceiling fan.
- After completing the entire installation procedure, switch on the electric supply and turn on the fan.
Installing a ceiling fan is a complicated process but if you have no experience with these kinds of jobs, then it’s better to call a professional. However, if you wish to do this on your own, you can proceed further with the steps mentioned above. Companies offering ceiling fans also provide installation services as well and you can always rely on them as well.