Jhal suji | Savoury semolina is a breakfast dish or an evening snack dish. Again, its such a breakfast option which is healthy, tasty and easy to make. In Bengal, people call this semolina item ‘Jhal suji’. Upma from south India is another close version of it made usually with biuli dal. You can serve this in tiffin of your kids. Suji or Semolina is made from durum wheat and has low glycemic index, thus digestion of suji takes place for a longer time and hence is a boon for people who wish to loose weight.
Total time to cook Jhal suji | Savoury semolina: 15 minutes
Serves 2 people
To follow us on facebook, please click here.
To follow us on twitter, please click here.
Ingredients for Jhal suji | Savoury semolina:
- Suji | semolina – 1.5 cups
- 1 tomato – chopped into small cubes
- 1 onion – chopped finely
- 2 green chillies – sliced
- Refined oil/ghee
- 1 tsp mustard seeds or rai or shorshe
For more bengali recipes, please click here.
For more breakfast and snack recipes, please click here.
Jhal suji | Savoury semolina recipe:
- Dry roast semolina or suji in a pan and keep separate
- Heat oil in a pan and let some mustard seeds crackle in it
- Add chopped onions and chopped green chillies and fry till onion starts to turn brown
- Add roasted semolina, salt and stir
- Add tomatoes and stir
- When suji dries up add little water and stir again till suji rises up in volume, become softer and dry (almost free flowing kind)
- Switch off flame, plate it and eat! You can garnish with fresh green coriander leaves
Your bengali style jhal suji is ready for breakfast!