Most of us might have seen a mocha or ‘Plaintain flower’, purple and big, they are. They are banana flowers and are consumed as a vegetable. You can make delicious vegetable curries with these mochas or plaintain flower. Before we delve into knowing the mocha recipe, let’s check some nutritional facts of these wonder flowers. Mochas are helpful in controlling diabetes, anemia, improves lactation, aids in weight loss and also they have anti-aging properties. So, still you need a reason to eat these mochas???? No, for sure So go to the market, quickly grab one and be busy cooking this delicious mocha recipe for your family!
Preparation time for Mocha recipe – Mochar torkari | Plaintain flower curry: 20 minutes
Total cooking time for Mocha recipe – Mochar torkari | Plaintain flower curry: 25 minutes
Ingredients for Mocha recipe – Mochar torkari | Plaintain flower curry:
- A small mocha, white flowers are derived out of the clusters and from the middle of each flower, a hard, black string like structure should be taken out and removed
- Salt to taste
- Mustard oil
- A bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 red dry whole chilli
- 1 onion – sliced or chopped
- 3 garlic cloves – sliced
- 1/2 inch ginger – grated
- 1 tomato – chopped
- 1/3 tsp turmeric powder or haldi
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 potatoes cut into small cubes
- 1 tsp ghee
- 1 green chilli
Mocha recipe – Mochar torkari | Plaintain flower curry – the method:
- Pressure cook the mocha with a little salt for 5 – 6 whistles. Afterwards, drain out the water and collect the mocha in a colander
- Heat mustard oil in a wok
- Add potatoes to the wok, Add salt and turmeric powder and let the potatoes get fried till they are golden brown on their surfaces. Once done, take out the fried potatoes and keep aside
- Add a bay leaf, red dry chilli in left over oil
- Add onion slices and let it turn reddish brown
- Add garlic and ginger, stir till rawness vanishes!
- Add coriander powder, chilli powder and stir
- Add tomatoes, salt and stir till they are soft and mash-able
- Now, add the potatoes and coat the masala well
- Now, add pressure cooked mocha, stir. Cook till the mocha curry starts to release oil from the sides of the pan
- Add a little water and cover cook for sometime until potatoes are cooked and mocha is mushy. Open the lid and let water evaporate and wait till oil starts to release from sides of wok
- Sprinkle garam masala powder, add a hand broken green chilli, ghee and stir. Switch off the flame.
Your delicious Mochar torkari | Plaintain flower curry is ready to serve with steamed rice and moong dal!