Mutton dum biryani is a one pot meal that’s superb in taste. It’s greatly aromatic rice, the richness in taste due to mutton is unparalleled to most of the dishes. I have shared an easy home made chicken biryani recipe earlier in my blog. That’s a shortcut for sure. But it’s taste comes out awesome! But today I am sharing a biryani recipe which involves putting ingredients in dum. It’s a delight to try your hands at this dish. Whenever I cook this, it poses a challenge to me which I cherish on its successful completion of cooking! Let’s know the recipe of how I cook it. It’s an adaptation from the much popular hyderabadi dum biryani recipe.
To find more one pot meal recipes, please click here.
To find more mutton recipes, please click here.
Time to cook Mutton dum biryani for 8 people: 2 hours ( minus marinating time )
Ingredients required for Mutton dum biryani:
1. Marinating and cooking mutton-
- 600 gms Mutton – medium – big 9 – 10 chunks
- 1 tsp of shahi garam masala or biryani masala
- Paste of 25 big garlic cloves and 2 inch ginger
- 3/4 cup curd
- 1 tsp mace – nutmeg powder
2. Cooking Biryani rice-
- 4 cups long grain biryani rice
- 10 – 12 black peppercorns, 1 mace, 2 cinnamon sticks, 4 green cardamoms, 9 cloves, 1 black cardamom
3. Final dum process:
- 4 big potatoes – cut into halves
- 8 boiled eggs
- 3 big Onions – sliced thinly into rings
- 1 tsp mace – jaifal powder or nutmeg powder, fennel or saunf powder, garam masala powder each
- Coriander leaves – chopped
- Fried cashews and water soaked raisins : 1.5 cup approximately
- 3 tsp ghee or clarified butter
- 1 tsp – rose water
- Refined oil
To follow us on facebook, please click here.
To follow us on twitter, please click here.
Mutton dum biryani recipe:
- Marinate mutton with ginger garlic paste, salt, shahi garam masala powder, curd. I did marination for good 10 hours in a refrigerator. The result was brilliant. Take it out of refrigerator 1 hour before you start cooking and let it stay at room temperature
- Soak rice for 20 minutes in water. Drain water and keep separate
- Boil eggs and de-shell them. Keep separate
- Heat enough oil in a wok. This step needs lots of oil in general ( cheat day meal it can be weight watchers 😊 )
- When oil is hot enough, fry thinly cut onion rings in the oil preferably in batches. Fry till they are brown in color. Take them out and keep separate
- In the same oil, fry potatoes till golden brown and keep them separate
- In the same oil, drop cashews and fry them for a little while till they are golden brown. Keep separate
- Now, comes the part to cook mutton. In the same oil, put the mutton pieces along with the marinades, nutmeg – mace powder ( 1 tsp ) and cook till mutton is 80 % cooked. Mutton should soften a bit
- Now, to cook rice, take a rice pot and heat enough water. Put the whole spices, namely, black cardamom, green cardamom, bay leaf, red dry chilly, cinnamon, black pepper and cloves. Add lots of salt as well. Once the water in the pot starts to boil, add rice. Cook for 5 minutes in medium flame or till it’s 60 % cooked. When you take a bite of the rice grain, it should be like you feel the bite. Drain water. Wash it gently in cold water if you want. Keep rice separate
- Now, comes the interesting dum part. In a deep rice pot, put the mutton pieces, potatoes, half of the gravy
- Now, put rice over mutton and potatoes
- Next layer, spread the fried cashews and soaked raisins
- Add barista or fried onions, 1 tsp of nutmeg – mace powder, 1 tsp garam masala powder, 1 tsp fennel powder or saunf or mouri
- Spread a tsp of rose water, 1 cup of saffron water and rest of mutton gravy. Spread chopped off fresh Coriander leaves on top. Add boiled eggs
- Close the lid such that steam should not escape the pot. To do that you may choose a tightly snuggled lid of the pot. You may choose to apply a wheat flour dough around the rim of the pot such that the lid is tightly closed. What I do is, I choose a tight lid with no hole. Cover pot with the lid and put a heavy pan on to the top of the lid
- Now, switch on flame to the simmer point. Let the whole ingredients cook slowly in a dum for good 30 – 35 minutes. Switch off flame
- Remove lid after some time. Apply ghee on to the top and dig in to eat. Don’t forget to share the wonderful mutton dum biryani with your loved ones. It is served best with Raita!