To bengalis, robibarer khawadawa is really special. The head of the family goes to the market to procure the freshest vegetables and meat from the local market. The best dishes are reserved for robibarer khawadawa in most of the households. Of course, it being a holiday and it calls for our family time! And the best way to celebrate family time for us is surely with food. So my dear husband got a kilogram of Desi Murgi ( Organic or Country chicken) this time. It was a small chicken (Cock or morog) that he got for us. In general there’s huge difference in flavours between a broiler chicken and an organic chicken. Broiler chicken is raised in small cages and are treated with supplements so that a lot of flesh is got from it 🙁 . While Organic chickens are raised in open air, they eat worms and earth. they don’t tend to grow that bigger in size compared to the broilers, but in the process, they develop much complex proteins and hence, their flesh is really flavorful. And also it has greater food value. Coming to the recipe, let me share the simple recipe of my Robibarer Desi Murgir Jhol | Country chicken curry | Organic chicken curry!
Since it’s sunday, there should be ample time for me to unwind. I should not spend much time in the kitchen. Also as I am cooking Robibarer Desi Murgir Jhol | Country chicken curry | Organic chicken curry, it should be a simple and flavorful as our grandmothers used to serve from their kitchens. No fancy ingredients, process. Just a few simple ingredients cooked with loads of love and your Robibarer Desi Murgir Jhol | Country chicken curry | Organic chicken curry is ready to serve with a thala of bhaat ( A plate of rice )
To follow us on facebook, please click here.
To follow us on twitter, please click here.
To check the Home page, click here
Time required to make Robibarer Desi Murgir Jhol | Country chicken curry | Organic chicken curry: 45 minutes
Serves 3 people
Ingredients to cook Robibarer Desi Murgir Jhol | Country chicken curry | Organic chicken curry:
- 1 kg of desi murgi or country organic chicken
- 1 cup curd
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 3/4 tsp turmeric powder
- A bay leaf
- 5 cloves, 1 cinnamon stick, 2 green cardamoms
- Mustard oil
- A paste of an onion, 20 cloves garlic, 1 inch ginger
- 1/2 onion – sliced
- Fresh coriander leaves
The recipe of Robibarer Desi Murgir Jhol | Country chicken curry | Organic chicken curry:
- To start with, marinate the chicken with 1 cup curd, salt to taste, 3/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp red chilli powder. Marination duration should be at least 30 minutes
- Heat mustard oil in a wok
- Drop in a bay leaf, 2 green cardamoms, 1 cinnamon stick, 5 cloves. As they start to change their colour (not burnt), add sliced onions and cook till soft
- Add a paste of 1 onion, 20 cloves of garlic and an inch of ginger. Cook till oil starts to ooze out
- Add marinated chicken. Stir cook till oil starts to ooze out
- Drop in the marinade, a few chopped fresh coriander leaves and a little water if the masala starts to stick to the bottom of the pan. Cook till oil starts to ooze out
- Now, add hot water and cover the wok with lid. Simmer till the chicken is cooked thoroughly
- Add again a few chopped coriander leaves and simmer for 5 more minutes. Switch off the flame
Serve the chicken hot with steamed rice!